Ads rely on gender stereotypes to sell products. It’s a game as old as advertising itself, but what impact is it having on us? You might bring in examples of print or media ads for your chat!
- What are some examples of gender stereotyping in advertising?
- When are stereotypes dangerous? When, if ever, can stereotypes be playful?
- What is the impact of being exposed to these messages all the time?
- What is your reaction to these ads (for example, the 1950s housewife or the beer-drinking, dumb male)? Do you find them funny? Irritating? Harmless?
- When does advertising cross the line - take a stereotype too far? Can you think of any examples?
Do you like this post?